NEIL & Concom Minutes - 11 January 2009 Jan 12, 2009

Snow cone flavors, raffle donors, and a new con chair... it's all here behind the cut!

NEIL & Concom Minutes

11 January 2009

NEIL Annual Meeting

  • Status report from future committee
    • Was going to be talking with Wendy this morning, but weather did not permit - possibly Tuesday instead
    • Alex will hopefully be able to attend that day too
  • Joining GAMA?
    • Pros: health insurance and discounts to origins for our members
    • Cons: sharing contact info, managing opt-ins, membership is strangely defined in our by-laws, costs us $50/year or something like that
    • Will vote on it in executive session
      • No decision for now, tabling it pending questions to Steve
  • Intercon J Con chair nominations
    • Anna Bradley
    • Alex Bradley
    • Tim Lasko
  • Executive session
    • Decision: Tim will be Intercon J con chair, we offered Alex the position of head of the NEIL Future Committee, which he has accepted

Con Com Meeting

  • Registrar
    • We have people!
    • We have not quite hit the cap: we got up to 309, but are down to 307 due to refunds
    • Projection: we will have just over 300 attendees total
  • Hotel Liason
    • Followup: balcony capacity
      • Not considered dangerous by the Radisson, but 300 is well within limits
    • Followup: expected breakfast numbers
      • We don't have attendance numbers, but we expect maybe half our attendees at a time
    • Radisson national number is being weird about the room block - Tim will send an email to attendees to let them know the magic word is "New England Interactive Literature" if you're calling the 800 number
  • Bid Chair
    • We have lots of games!
    • We have just dropped "The Galactic Emperor is Dead" and replaced it with "Plan 8 From Outer Space" running twice
    • We currently have these games not yet at minimum:
      • Intercon Zi - 6 from minimum
      • Blue Archangel - hit minimum this morning
      • Bruno the Bandit - 6 from minimum
      • Plan 8s - because we just added them
  • Information
    • Followup: "get off the waitlist" email?
      • It went out
    • New games, possibly a note needs to go out about that
    • Also hotel info, see in Hotel section above
  • Con Suite
    • Not here, sent a report:
    • Hi all!  Sorry to be missing this meeting, but travelling from NJ to CT today seemed to make a lot more sense than trying to beat the storm up there yesterday.
      Thanks to Barry and the online sign-ups, if everyone who's signed up for Con Suite shifts shows up, this year should work wonderfully!  I don't know whether the increase is because of the ease of signing up online or because of Nat's and Teem's requests for help, but the results are fabulous.  I hope everyone shows up when they say they will!
      I'm still working on getting hot entrees arranged.  We might still be able to use another cook or two, so keep your eyes and ears open for potential cooks.
      I sent out the requests for help with soda yesterday.  Kerri will be coordinating soda assignments, thank you!  Once again Connor suggested using Peapod, and I put that back in his lap by saying we'd love to do that if he'd take charge of the whole thing, including guaranteeing delivery by noon on Friday.  I may screen his comment (it's on LJ) to keep people from thinking he's handling it all.  If he *does* step up to handle it, Kerri can send out email etc. accordingly.
    • Soda logistics hasn't been a problem in the past, so we'll keep doing it without Peapod for now.
      Kerri will also be coordinating GM meals.  I think she's planning to ask for orders over the next couple of weeks.
      I'll be needing a check for Con Suite purchases from Chad again this year.  If he's planning to be at the February meeting I can get it then.
      I think that's it!  I hope you have a great meeting!
    • GM meals will be made available at Ops, Chad will provide a cooler.
  • GM Coordinator
    • Not here, no report
    • Some of the GMs didn't get the furniture requests email - perhaps send again or post elsewhere.
  • Treasurer
    • Followup: State paperwork went out?
      • Yep, went through!
    • Intercon I: $6691.02
    • Intercon J: $93.68
    • NEIL: $4643.08
  • Ops
    • Not too much to say at this point
    • Con suite has "borrowed" a lot of Ops volunteers; we're running very low on Saturday
      • We should send another request for volunteers
    • If people need Ops to do something at a particular time, tell Andrew - he will put together a schedule for the next meeting
    • Andrew needs to schedule a packet stuffing party
  • Raffle
    • Followup: donor list?
      • 3 Trolls
      • Danger Planet
      • Alleged Entertainment
      • Janet Kessenich
      • Anandi Gandolfi
      • Your Move Games - wants someone to go visit them to pick up the ad and donations - Laura can do that
      • Nomi Rachlin - no ad needed
      • IMA - full page ad exchange per usual
      • Steve Jackson Games
  • Pubs / Art
    • Art isn't here, sent a report:
    • Anita is a great. Barry is great (well when he puts on his 'help with the con booklet' task he is :-) Just reviewing to make sure we have the correct pricing on the Web site and any flyers for this last segment before the Con. We need to make sure we send out any reminders for deadlines to get information readied for the booklet. Things I can think of: -Bios
    • Too late, Barry already pulled them.  Josh sent a reminder, so we did let people know about this. -Advertisers - from Vendors
    • Need that from Jen -Message from Con Chair
    • Nat will get on that -Con Suite Mistress Note
    • Same as last year? -Sponsors of other cons with ads going to be in our book
    • Barry has the information, we still need an ad from Gordon -Any new things we need to put in writing that should be in the book (rules, photographers, privacy... stuff etc) -Any room assignments or schedule changes -Party or Dance theme information
    • No theme as usual -'In-Kind' ads from our fellow cons... Mid-Atlantic, Origins... who else do we have? Double check all things are stable for shirt stuff order when that does happen.
    • Andrew says everything is cool, he just needs numbers.  Order going out 1st week of Feb.  StitchAmerica has approved the artwork.
    • No way to make the schedule fit so it will fold in half properly in the booklet, so we will use a separate sheet.
  • Vendor
    • Not here, sent a report:
    • I apologize for not sending this out sooner, the past two weeks have been horrible and yesterday was Hubby's birthday so I was busy until I was out of it. I am still waiting to hear from some people, who I anticipate want to come. I have not heard from Rising Phoenix at all and when I tried calling them, I got a weird "no service in this area message." Craig, who was emailing me constantly in the summer, before we made our determination, has sent me nothing except a request for the application. I believe I have sent in the registration info and ads that I have, but I will try to call Barry tonight (Barry if you could email the vendor email with that info that would be great.) If you want to call me, email me and I will send you my digits. I hope everyone drives safe.
  • Web
    • Followup: Misc change requests from this month
      • Nat's address is wrong
      • The shameless plugs are from a couple years ago
        • Drop the page
    • Paid for Intercon J domain, checking with Powweb about more databases
    • Shirt payment possibly broken?
    • Looking into other possible web hosts
  • Con chair
    • Followup: Taking Terilee's stuff up to Intercon
      • Jim has agreed to do it
    • Followup: Arisia status
      • Party room is all set; need to coordinate with Alex about supplies and stuff
      • Anna action items from last time:
        • Fan table?
          • Confirmed
      • Andrew - business cards?
        • They're at home, Nat needs to get them.
      • Shaved ice order came in
        • To go to Intercon:
          • Mango
          • Lime
          • Red Raspberry
          • Strawberry
          • Grape
          • Lemon
    • Conor's Dead Dog idea
      • Princeton Station (princetonstation.com) can seat our entire con
      • They need to know in advance roughtly how many people want to go
      • Buffet: $24/head
      • Minimum 30 people
      • Two options:
        • People pay ahead of time
        • Intercon agrees to be legally liable if people don't show
        • Paying ahead of time is preferable, since we don't want to be legally liable
      • We will do this
  • Thursday Thing
    • Followup: Confirmed volunteers and Schedule?
      • 6 confirmed people willing to run panels, plus 1 confirmed willing to be on a panel
      • Sharone
      • Adina
      • Don
      • Laura
      • Susan
      • Chris A.
      • Nat
    • Possibility: one track of unconference, one track of panels
    • Schedule being sent out/put up shortly
  • Iron GM
    • Followup: is Barry's new feature working OK for Iron GM?
      • Seems good so far.
    • Staff have received information from Josh.
  • Schedule
    • Next meeting: Feb 8, 2PM, Radisson (hopefully)
  • One more thing...
    • You all deserve a piece of pie for driving out here in this snow.